Kelly was born July 19, 1970 in St. Louis and raised by his great grandparents Kelly and Rosa Anna May. At the age of 17 Kelly passed up multiple athletic scholarships from universities such as Arizona State, Iowa and Iowa State to join the United States Army.
Kelly served for 21 years retiring in 2009 as First Sergeant. He is a highly decorated war veteran with a Meritorious Service Medal with 3 Bronze Stars, 6 Army Commendation Medals, 5 Army Achievement Medals, Air assault badge, Basic Parachutist Wings, The Glen E. Morrell Award, Recruiter Ring, and Gold Recruiter Badge with 3 Sapphires.
Following Kelly’s retirement from active service he became a small business entrepreneur. Some of his ventures include the following:
- With a friend he cofounded Networking International, a company providing a link between local businesses and other firms from around the globe.
- Kelly is a partner in Firewolf Marketing.
- March of 2012 Kelly joined JustMyMemphis.com, a company that develops digital profiles for individual professionals and companies to help make Memphis the city of choice.
- May of 2013 Price established the Memphis Entrepreneur Academy (MEA) where he serves as the CEO. The organization holds classes during the summer designed to inspire children to set and achieve goals, promote outstanding citizenship and counseling on ethics. The ultimate goal is to build for our community’s future business and civic leaders. Due to the success of this program it has been expanded to Saturdays throughout the year.
- Advanced MEA teens learn how to choose a business, write a business plan, and conduct marketing research and obtaining financing. After completion the students pitch their plans to business owners. In several cases students ended up launching their business! Again the goal of MEA is to teach our youth how to take charge of their future in a profound way.
Kelly’s companies have been recognized as great assets that are helping shape the future of Memphis and Shelby County economic growth. His skills and dedication has garnered accolades and official commendations from across political party lines and include Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton, Shelby County Mayor Mark H. Luttrell Jr. and Congressman Steve Cohen. In 2011 Price was recognized by the state of Tennessee for his Tri-State Defender ‘Man of Excellence’ award.
Kelly Price also has a huge heart. Every year he helps direct a drive to provide “Back to School” supplies for area students. He sponsors “A Taste for a Cure” event to help promote awareness and fight for a cure for Breast Cancer. In December Kelly is involved with “Tunes for Toys” and personally purchases thousands of dollars in holiday gifts for kids in need. He has been recognized by Mayor Luttrell for his work with the National Foundation on Addiction and Substance Abuse.
Kelly is a member of several civic groups including the Prince Hall Masons (32 degree Mason), Shriners, Knights of Columbus (4th Degree), NRA (Golden Circle) and the Shelby County Republican Party Club. Kelly is an active member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church.
Kelly Price is married to Starlette L. Price. Mrs. Price is also a highly decorated veteran. They have five children, Kenneth, Lanesha, Chanelle, Jama’l and Tre’von. The Prices have one daughter-in-law, Pam and a son-in-law Brandon. Kelly and Starlette are proud grandparents to four granddaughters and one grandson. The family is rounded out by the family dog, Apollo.